Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Life Untitled- A Short Story

Hello friends,
I hope you are all doing very well. I do apologize for not coming up with fresh book reviews often..........however I will soon come back with some interesting reviews on some fabulous books. In the meantime, my friends I gift you the following story. Life untitled is a short story written by me..........I sincerely hope you like it. And don't forget to give me your valuable feedback. Till then goodbye.           

                                                                  Life Untitled
They said I will never recover. I didn't doubt them. I was after all ill for quite some time now. I can feel the disease gnawing away at my innards. I have none to worry about, no money or property to put down in a will. I was always a very plain person living a very average life.....till I had the extraordinary disease which is set to finish my short unappealing life. No one has yet turned up with a bouquet of flowers; no one's even sent a get-well-soon card to me. But I am satisfied, I don't like a fuss. Since my childhood nothing for me was ever celebrated, I never deserved such attention. I don't know what it feels to be admired or cherished, I will never know of such things ever.
As hakimji left I stood by the door clasping my hands together, watching the setting sun. It's so beautiful, the orange hue spreading, engulfing the entire sky and then slowly fading away. And suddenly his thoughts crept up, they always have, an adamant habit of finding me when I least expect them. I try to block them but they erupt out, spreading warmth in my cold heart. 

He was a young man, a soldier in the army. They had come to our village for food, he and his dashing, merry friends loudly joking and talking with each other, smart in their uniforms .I watched them out of the corners of my eye, working in the pigs sty. Our family had gone to my uncle's house in a nearby village for a puja and I was left to take care of the livestock lest the wolves take them. I averted my eyes as a piglet leapt up in evident glee. Radha our cow mooed loudly. I quickened my pace at work, a lot was left. Butter had to be churned, cows to be fed, kitchen to be cleaned, floors have to be scrubbed. ‘Hey, miss’, I was startled, my train of thoughts abruptly stopped by a deep, jovial voice. I saw a twinkle in his eye, a patch of roughness on his stubble, hands wringing as if in some kind of nervousness, and a foot tapping impatiently. ‘Can you spare us some bread and cheese, we have been asking at every door for it’, he seemed serious yet there was some playfulness in the way he said. As if he was cracking a joke yet was trying to be somber at the same time. I lowered my eyes and nodded; I could feel his gaze as I went in for what he wanted. I shivered, it was cold and my clothes with years of constant use were frayed and permeable. I looked up for a lump of goat milk’s cheese and some stale dry bread. There were rats everywhere in the kitchen. ‘Maam, can you kindly give me a glass of water, my lips are parched’. Balancing the food and water in an earthen tray I went out to him. His eyes brightened and he eagerly took the tray off my hands. I had put some pickle, a carrot and an apple too on the plate. I watched him drain the glass thirstily and eat the food hurriedly sitting on a stool by the cow-shed. His hands were dirty, his nails long and I saw a mad gleam in his eyes as he ate. He smelled of tobaccos and sweat. ‘Ah the pickle’s delicious;you have a husband? your husband’s a lucky man.’ I was too ashamed to admit that at twenty-seven I was still unmarried, a burden to my family. My nineteen year old pretty sister was already married off. He sucked his fingers clean and brushed off the bread crumbs off his clothes. Handing me the tray back he stood up. He was so tall, as if he overshadowed the noon sun. He saluted smartly and simply said ‘Thank you maam’. As he marched away, out of the garden gates, I looked on; I yearned to know his name so much. I sat down on the stool he was sitting. He thanked me; I thought over and over again, he had thanked me. No one had ever thanked me before. I could feel hot tears flowing down freely over my cheeks. I cried. A gate was as if suddenly opened in my mind and all its pain, regrets, losses freed from its fetters. It was dusk when I crept back in the house. My mind was back to its normal state, but I felt peaceful and happy, that one ‘thank you’ gave me hope that I probably had more to live for.
But that was the last ‘thank you’ I ever received. They didn’t say that when I gave away my only pair of gold earrings to my newborn niece, or when I gave up my room to my younger brother after his marriage, or when I finally bundled off to a distant aging aunt’s house in a far-off village to take care of her. None shedded a tear as I left, not even my mother. She had other important worries. I looked after my aunt till her death; she was ninety years old when she died. Since then I have lived alone in her small house; she was childless and a widow. I have nothing to look forward to and after all these years the only thing welcoming is my death. I can still see him, eating my pickles, pocketing the apple and then saluting me; the bright twinkle in his eyes as he said that my husband’s a lucky man. I smiled in grief; he would never know my life, a fruitless life, a life untitled.


No comments:

Post a Comment